Executive Chef, David Hunter is one of Australia’s leading innovators in low-fat, healthy cuisine. David shares his expertise and skills with Shelly, showing basic tips on how to prepare healthy, wholesome and nutritious meals in the comfort of your own home.
Watch Shelly Horton from Healthy Me TV learn how to prepare Snapper with Warm Mediterranean Salad in 5mins!
PAN SEARED SNAPPER WITH A WARM MEDITERRANEAN SALAD
4 x 130g pieces fresh snapper (skin off)
1 Spanish onion (sliced finely into wedges)
6 mushrooms (sliced)
4 Roma tomatoes (diced chunky)
1 green zucchini (diced chunky)
1 red capsicum (roasted, skin removed, sliced)
1 dozen black olives
1 dozen capers
30g reduced fat fetta cheese (grated)
100ml balsamic vinegar
1 lemon (juiced)
Few sprigs fresh herbs
Salt and pepper
1. Put 2 tbls of lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper into a heated frying pan, add snapper presentation side down and cook for approximately 1 minute over a high heat lemon juice should caramelize at this stage deglaze pan with a splash of water to release residue this should colour fish. Turn fish and remove from heat and cover pan with lid.
2. In the second frying pan put a splash of lemon juice and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and then add Spanish onion and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds before adding the tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini, and continue cooking for a few minutes. Add capsicum, olives and capers and combine together remove from heat and add chopped herbs. Adjust seasoning at this stage if required.
3. Serve warm salad ingredients over rocket with then top with fish more salad and garnish with fetta and fresh herbs.
• Chef’s Tip- This dish works well with a beautiful Avocado and basil pesto, see recipe below.
¼ cup pine nuts
3 cups fresh basil, packed
4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 cloves garlic, roasted
1 ½ medium avocados
½ tsp. Trocomare
½ – 1 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 cup water
1. Place pine nuts, basil, lemon juice and garlic into a food processor, and process until combined.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, adjust seasoning if needed.
3. Serve with your favourite pasta or cooked vegetables.
Makes approximately 2 cups pesto
Recipe by Golden Door Executive Chef David Hunter