“This is a beautiful clear broth style soup, a real warmer for the cool months ahead and it’s a fun dish to create. The crab can be substituted for prawn if you prefer. Lemongrass has such a beautiful aroma, we grow our own onsite here at Golden Door and I just love using it on the menu.” James Knight, Executive Chef
Serves 4-6 people
3 litres water
2 corn cobs
1 onion, halved
1 lemon, halved
4 large tomatoes, quartered
2 sticks lemongrass, tender inner part only, roughly chopped (use outer layers in stock if desired)
2cm square galangal, roughly chopped
2 cloves roasted garlic
10 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
6 coriander roots and stems, roughly chopped
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs chopped red chilli
2 tsp coconut nectar
3 tbs tamari
1 tbs yellow curry paste
1 tsp tamarind paste
4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
Coriander leaves, to garnish
Chilli and Lemongrass Dumplings
150 g fresh crab meat (or raw prawn meat, finely chopped)
1/4 tsp finely chopped red chilli
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
1 coriander root, finely chopped
1/2 tsp finely chopped lemongrass, white part only
1/4 tsp finely chopped galangal
12 gow gee wrappers (square or round)
1. To create your base stock, place the water, corn, onion, lemon, tomatoes in a stockpot or large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 40 minutes.
2. In a blender, combine lemongrass, galangal, garlic, kaffir lime leaves and coriander roots. Add to stock.
3. Add the remaining soup ingredients to the stockpot and simmer for at least 20 minutes, covered.
4. While soup is simmering, place all dumpling ingredients, except gow gee wrappers in a large bowl and combine well.
5. Lay the gow gee wrappers on a cutting board or clean surface and place 1 teaspoon of the mix onto the centre of each wrapper. If using square wrappers fold over to form a triangle, then press edges firmly together to form a parcel. If using round wrappers, fold over to form a semi-circle, then press edges firmly together to form a parcel. Continue until all ingredients are used.
6. Place dumplings into the hot soup for approximately 5 minutes.
7. To serve, remove the corn, onion and lemon from the pot and add finely sliced shiitake mushrooms. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Share your Golden Door at home creation on Instagram and tag us @goldendooraustralia and #goldendoorau
Recipe from the NEW Golden Door at home cookbook, purchase online now.